Monday, February 11, 2008

Visit to Chicago

Soooo I'm going to Chicago this weekend to visit my Grandma and Grandpa. I'm super excited about being up there, especially in the winter. Today it was NEGATIVE 3 degrees! BRRRRR! It should be up in the 20's before the weekend though. Phew. (please note the sarcasm).
I may have mentioned this in another post, but my grandparents house is my favorite place in the entire world. The smells and the view from the lake, the creaks in the floor, and the low hums of CNN Headline News on the TV at all times in the back ground. Getting stuck in the dining room chairs because they don't slide well on the worn carpet. All these little things make this place magical. I'm also super excited about seeing the additions they've made to the house to make it more grandma-friendly. They added a whole new bedroom so they could put everything that she would need on one floor (laundry room, bathroom, kitchen, etc). They also put in a wheelchair ramp.

For the last week and a half, grandma has been doing great. She's talking and alert, and even sang happy birthday to my mom on the 7th. When my dad told her we'll try and bring some warmer weather, she was like "You better!"
The thing i'm not looking forward to is saying goodbye. Because that's essentially what this trip is. Not just saying goodbye at the end of the weekend, but saying "Goodbye, Grandma." Forever. Just the thought of it is eating me up. I can't see here ever making the trip to Florida again. She's become an old woman. And old people die. I'm just trying not to dwell on it, but that's pretty impossible. Hopefully i won't be in tears all weekend. I'll let you know how it goes when i get back.

No comments: