Thursday, October 4, 2007

I'm an Adult, Go Figure?

I always wondered when it would be when i would receive "Adult Status". For whatever reason i thought i would feel a definitive moment in my life that i would become that 'old person' my parents were/are. Adult Status is defined as someone who has a 'real job'. Someone who eats their vegetables, who is morally set, and who seems to know just about everything.

My definitive moment actually came when i realized that there is not gong to be a specific moment. To my nieces & nephews, i already am that Adult. That 'old person'. To my parents, I'm still their Child (with Adult Tendencies). I have friends that range in ages from 21-60+. And to them, we are Equals. Some are about the same age as my parents. I can talk to them just as i talk to anyone my own age - about silly things, serious things, and those strange conversations that fall in between. We even talk about sex. And it's not weird or 'gross' to talk to people my parents age about sex. In fact, I say 'Good for you'! (It's just my parents that still kinda ick me out to think about). I'm glad that there's no one to tell me that i have to become an Adult. Apparently, it's OK to have Adult Status and mess up or be silly every once in a while.

I now realize: That 'Adult Status' my parents had growing up? I have it too, to my nieces and nephews, anyway. Its kind of like a secret identity. I'm a super hero to my nephews. To them i am an everready battery that can run around and play with them and never get tired. To my nieces I'm the coolest woman on the planet that can do no wrong. I'm sure I'm 'old' to them. ...I guess that's okay.

No comments: