Tuesday, September 1, 2009

17 Week Randomness

Apparently, Cashew is starting to hear now. I wonder what that's like. I mean your whole world is quiet, then all of a sudden there's a whole new sense to explore. I know that it's gotta be scary. From that, I wonder what his/her first sounds were. Was it my voice? a burp? a fart? I wish it was something we could document, like their first words. Its interesting, when I first learned about him/her, I talked to my belly and I knew he/she couldn't hear anything. Now that i know that he/she can, i haven't found myself able to say something. I'm hoping its because I haven't been alone with my belly yet, and I don't want to appear crazy talking to myself.

A week from today, at 2:45, is our ultrasound appointment. HOPEFULLY, if Cashew cooperates, he or she will show us their junk and I won't have to say "he/she" anymore! I really think she's a girl, which is why he's probably a boy. If we do have a girl, the poor thing may end up just being named "Baby Girl Swedlow" because her parents couldn't decide on a name. Barry will not listen to anything except Iylana ("ill-ana"). I thought it was pretty our first night we found out we were pregnant and he's taking that as law that I liked the name, so he doesn't see why I don't want it now. I really like Ella, especially thinking that was a compromise for Iylana, but he thinks it sounds like an old person name. Grrr.... Maybe we'll just let her name herself, like Picabo Street. (OK, as i posted the link, i learned that she didn't name herself, but was named after a small Idaho town. Geez)

According to a book or 2, i should be 5-10 pounds heavier by now. Although I look like I've gained 15 pounds, I don't think i've gained more than 1 or 2 pounds, if any. Hopefully I'm not starving the kid.

Barry continues to be sweet as can be. In fact, I make more fat jokes than he does. I'm surprisingly less sensitive about it, and he's surprisingly more sensitive about it. Once he called me "Hot Mama" and i thought he said "Fat Mama". I thought it was funny, but he was appalled that I even thought he would say something like that. My hubby never ceases to surprise me. :)

6 comments:

Angelle said...

Ha ha, I laughed at the Hot Mama/Fat Mama thing. :) Mike is pretty nice about the whole thing too. I definitely make more jokes about it than he does. Can't wait to find out!

Garret of Jim and Garret said...

Maybe name her Girl. Lady. Wo. Maybe Garrita.

Garret of Jim and Garret said...

Oh, and if it's a girl, and obviously she'll come out balding, Alixandra would fit too.

Alix said...

Didn't you know, Mandi?

At 17 weeks, a fetus can only hear the low frequency of female farts. It's true! A scientific double-blind study was conducted at Yale University and every time Garret broke wind, the baby shook its fist and said: OY!

Garret of Jim and Garret said...

I got paid pretty well too.

Mandi said...

LOL!