Friday, September 11, 2009

My Front Porch Looking In

My radio at work was tuned to the country station today. I typically listen to "lite work favorites" but for whatever reason it didn't want to come in. I love most country music and although many lesser fans think it's all shotguns and dead dogs, the majority of the songs are full of beautiful lyrics about love. Not just romantic love, but songs about family, patriotism, and the love for the finer things in life. I just finished listening to "Front Porch Looking In" by Lonestar. From Wikipedia: The song describes how the sight of his beautiful wife and two adorable children is far better than anything including his "panoramic view" of his estate or "the paintings from the air, brushed by the hand of God." He also describes that after seeing the whole world, he "can't wait to get back home to the one He made for me."

As the song ended, I realized that I'm going to be a part of this privileged club all too soon. I've watched from the outside for so long and it wasn't until just now that I realized how much I was missing. She's not even born yet and I already understand why it's worth writing a song about. I am so overwhelmed with joy that I will experience that love. Not just imagine it, but truly feel it and experience it. Its more anticipation than high school prom, that first roller coaster, or my first kiss put together, yet its so calming. I know now that I was born to be in this club. To be a parent. My wallet may not be ready, but my heart sure as hell is. Bring it on.

3 comments:

Boozy Tooth said...

And a jolly welcome to the club!

Take it from someone who knows... whether you have money or not (I didn't when my kids were born), nothing can diminish the joy, challenge, love, hope, laughter, tears, pride, and thrill of being a parent. And your little girl will know nothing of material wealth - but she WILL know how much she is loved and she will pay it back a thousand fold.

Congratulations again and again, Mandi. I love hearing your excitement and enthusiasm in your posts. And it takes me back to when I had the same feelings. Thanks for that, sweetie!

Angelle said...

I love you, Mandi! I have always known that you were born to be in this "club" and I wished it for you so hard. I canNOT wait to go on this journey with you and watch you experience the joys of parenthood. There is truly nothing like it.

Laurie said...

Aw :) You so belong here!! Love you!!